Friday, January 4, 2013

Asparagus & Harvest/Forage Party

Last year at this time of year I planted Asparagus. The process involved digging a trench 2 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 10 feet long in an East to West direction. I then placed the Asparagus root balls in the the bottom of the trench and covered them with a 2-3 inch layer of soil and compost. When the Asparagus started popping up through the soil I added a 6 inch layer of soil and compost until eventually the trench was completely back filled. Asparagus is a long term commitment you can't harvest any of your first year spears ,you leave them alone and let them develop there root mass. In there second year you can harvest from your patch for the first week that they sprout then leave them alone to develop more root mass, in the second year  you can harvest for 2 weeks, and so on until year 7 when you can harvest for 6 weeks. Like I said it's a long term commitment. In the middle of December through the end of January you cut your Asparagus down to let it go dormant.

The 2 pictures above are my Asparagus patch.

Asparagus Seeds
Here's the patch all cut down I leave the leaves and stems right where I cut them down to break down and nourish the soil for next years spears.


We also have a alot of stuff coming out of the garden and the neighborhood. I can't grow everything I like but there are other ways to get what you want ?foraging?



This years black-eyed pea harvest you put a pea and a quarter in your wallet for good fortune in the new year  then you cook a big ole pot of ham and beans.


Yeah I found/foraged a half of box of Pecans. BOOYAH!






The dill is getting growing.

Our stir fry, red bell,  broccoli, and, sugar peas
The stir fry is my favorite, but the pecans are just as good, if you like dill pickles buy a regular jar of pickles and throw your fresh dill in the jar, instant dill pickles. Stay tuned for my bad ass booyah pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment