Friday, June 28, 2013

RIP Red #2

Last night one of my laying hens Red #2 died. I don't think she ever recovered from a prolapsed egg incident that occured months ago here. I bought her another Rhode Island Red chick and a blackstar chic 3 years ago. My brother later delivered an americuana chic to complete our flock of 4 chickens. I was told to expect some of the chics to die or some turn out to be roosters but it never happened, instead our family has been blessed with hundreds of hours of chicken entertainment and hundreds of delicious eggs. Red #2 got her name because she was the number 2 chicken in charge in the backyard only her sister Red #1 was higher up in the pecking order. All week long I could tell she wasn't feeling well, and then yesterday she stopped eating the grapes I had been feeding her as treats and went and laid down in the coop and closed her eyes for good. I buried her this morning in the yard next to our cat Socks.
All 4 of the chics when we first got them.

No comments:

Post a Comment