Monday, November 26, 2012

Screwin around in the yard on a Saturday

This weekend I decided to catch up on a bunch of stuff in the yard and here it is.
First I put in the watering system for my pomegranate and cape honeysuckle always check  where you're digging to make sure you don't hit anything buried under ground like the water line I hit digging this trench DDDOOOOHHHH!!! 

The pome is for food, the honeysuckle is a hummingbird feeder. I'm really getting tired  of filling up feeders and the honeysuckle is a natural food source for the hummingbird. I'm planting the honeysuckle and some other hummingbird plants through out the yard, so pretty soon no more feeders.

Horseradish, it's one my favorite condiments but it's supposedly not adapted to the Az. Well I'm going to find out. I went to AJ''S and bought a whole root and cut it into 4 pieces. If you look closely you can see it's already sprouting and rooting.

I potted up the horseradish once it sprouts I've got a special bed I'm going to put it into in the yard that gets alot of afternoon shade in the summer. From what I've read the summer sun is the biggest challenge with growing horseradish in Phoenix. Stay tuned. By the way summer sun is the biggest challenge to growing anything in Phoenix.

Found these 2 igloos in the garbage and decided they'd make excellent pots so I pulled out the broken push buttons and  planted some herbs tarragon, basil, bee balm, and pineapple sage. I've slowly started to discover the world of fresh herbs for seasoning my food and they are amazing I plan to have a full blown spice rack growing in my backyard soon. If you're trying to not use as much salt in your diet look into fresh herbs in your cooking then try and grow your own you won't believe what fresh herbs cost in the store $$$$$$$$ and I found this great book just for herb gardening in the desert southwest  The Low Desert Herb Gardening Handbook  give it a shot they're pretty easy to grow
Here they are all planted up.

 I planted another pomegranate in my sheet mulched bed in the front yard with some hollyhocks. I also seeded some lettuce and red onions. I know these pomes are small but I bought them on sale this summer on the discount shelf for 4 bucks at the local  home improvement center. I've been waiting for it to cool off to plant. In a few years I should have some decent pomegranates. I think that's the main lesson in urban farming, it doesn't happen over night it takes planning, patience, some work, and a little luck. I know where's the watering system I didn't plan that out yet.

Finally I just don't grow food I also enjoy growing some flowers (the wife likes them too) this is a bearded iris that popped up in my iris bed a little early this year. I'm tired and ready for a brewski.  BOOYAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment