Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sheet Mulching



Sheet mulching is a passive form of soil building(composting in place). It's pretty easy to do, you can make it as hard, or as easy as you want. Most of the materials are free you just have to find what's available locally. First you put down a a layer of card board or news paper to keep the weeds from coming back up, then top it with an organic material that will break down over the next few months. Sheet mulching takes months to really start working well. I'm not expecting any results for at least 6 months to a year. We'll see.
 

I ran a weed wacker through the area I wanted to sheet mulch.





Then I laid my weed barrier,  newspaper and card board dowm. After that Iwet everything down.
 Next my organic matter which was soiled hay and rabbit poop which I got for free from a guy that raises rabits.

Here it is all piledup
 
 
Then rake it all out and water it in we'll wait till this summer to plant and see how it goes. Passive soil building 101

No comments:

Post a Comment